Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Always Remember - Never Forget

On this day 12 years ago, I was sitting at my desk at Theochem Laboratories here in Tampa. My mother called me and asked me if I had seen the news. No, I had not since we did not have a television in the office. I quickly looked up New York on the internet and Bam - there it was.

Two planes colliding into the Twin Towers - an image that I will never forget. I started shaking. My Uncle worked in the city. My husband was on a plane to Dallas. My two boys were at school and my daughter at day care. I must have stayed on the phone with my mother for almost a half and hour, not saying a lot but the comfort of just knowing she was there, made all the difference in the world to me. All I could think about was my husband and if he was going to be safe. 

Even though I know my husband was in the air somewhere, I started texting him and calling him in hopes that he would land safely and call me as soon as he landed. Finally he did. 

My boys came home from school that day and they couldn't concentrate on anything. Luckily my daughter was too young to understand. The boys had been on lockdown all day. No one in the schools no one out. After seeing all the footage and all the devastation, I finally turned off the tv. We were all pretty shook up.

As the days of rescue and recovery went by all I could think about was the victims and their families. My brother lost a very dear friend that day. Even after 12 years, this day holds heavy in his heart. 

I was lucky that day. God spared my family and I. Even though my husband had to drive back from Dallas to get home because all flights were cancelled that week, it was well worth the drive to bring him home. 

Each year I see the multiple postings of 9/11. Each year I pray for healing for those families and victims. This year I refuse to post on Facebook about 9/11. Life is for moving forward. Not falling backwards. To find true happiness and peace in such sorrow we must go on. I know everyone grieves differently. I choose to celebrate life. 

And one thing that helps me with that celebration is that tomorrow 9/12 marks the 55th wedding anniversary of my parents. I just hope that I make it that long with my husband. 

Love the ones who are here with you now. Honor those that are in Heaven. Live life - you only have one.

God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment